Russian tortoises are a great choice for intermediate to advanced tortoise keepers. This species stays small and are very tolerant of cooler temperatures. These personable tortoises are friendly and do well in small groups. As with all turtles and tortoises, purchasing this species is a long-term commitment.
• Common Name: Russian Tortoise
• Scientific Name: Testudo horsfieldii
• Distribution: Russia, Ukraine, Pakistan and Western China
• Size: 6-10″
• Life Span: up to 40+ years
• Russian tortoises will do best if kept outdoors in temperatures that do not fall below 40°F in winter.
• If being kept indoors an adult Russian tortoise will need at least a 30 gallon terrarium.
• Zoo Med’s Tortoise House™ is an ideal enclosure to house this small species. The Tortoise House can be taken outdoors to provide natural sunlight when temperatures permit.
• Zoo Med’s Tortoise Play Pen™ is an excellent way to occasionally offer natural sunlight and grazing opportunities to your tortoise if being kept indoors.