Fire Belly Toad
The Fire Belly Toad is actually a frog and makes an easy-to-care for pet. These beautiful amphibians are found in the highlands and rice patties of China, Korea, and Southern Russia. Their small size, easy care, and interesting behaviors make them a great first pet. The bright red belly of these frogs is a warning to all predators that they are mildly toxic. Although not particularly dangerous to humans, handling should be kept to a minimum and you must wash your hands thoroughly after contact.
• Common Name: Fire Belly Toad
• Scientific Name: Bombina orientalis
• Distribution: China, Korea, Southern Russia
• Size: 1-2″
• Life Span: 7-15 years
• Fire Belly Toads will do best in a semi-aquatic terrarium. Terrariums with half land and half water provide the perfect environment for Fire Belly Toads.
• 2 or 3 Fire Belly Toads will do well in a 10 or 15 gallon terrarium. Larger groups will need a 20 gallon or larger terrarium.
• Zoo Med’s ReptiHabitat™ or Naturalistic Terrariums are ideal for setting up the proper habitat.
• A Waterfall Kit™ is a great addition to a Fire Belly Toad terrarium because it will help keep water from becoming stagnant and will add a naturalistic look to your pet’s home.
• Zoo Med’s Black Silicone Rubber will allow you to build custom terrarium features with a water element that will suit all your frog’s needs.